The Expertise We’re Looking For
On behalf of our client, Fidelity Investments, we are in search of great candidates for the RESUME Program located in Boston, MA. The RESUME Program is a paid 26-week return-to-work program run in partnership with reacHIRE designed for professionals returning to the workforce after a career break. The program is designed for people who have taken a 2+ year career break and it is a cohort-based model that allows individuals to re-enter the workforce in a supported way with a group of fellow returning professionals. We provide a 1-week intensive onboarding specially designed to build the skills one needs to successfully re-enter the workforce. This proven approach fosters camaraderie among colleagues, builds confidence and upgrades technology and professional skills that will be invaluable throughout this next phase of their career.
We are currently looking for a Manager to join the Accounting Policy and Standards team. In this position you will have a primary reporting line to the Accounting Policy and Standards Vice President. You will have strong leadership skills and the experience necessary to be part of a team of technical experts who are responsible for setting accounting policies for the firm as well as conducting research related to business transactions, proposed product offerings and other matters to ensure proper application of US GAAP and other applicable standards, including IFRS.
FMR LLC’s business activities span a range of financial services and non-financial services businesses including asset management, retirement services, brokerage services, wealth management, insurance, venture capital, and a number of other services both within and outside the United States. A successful candidate will need to have the capacity to navigate through these varied business activities and work collaboratively with colleagues in Corporate Accounting as well as business and finance leaders across the various business units. This individual must possess exceptional technical accounting and reporting skills and expertise and be able to explain complex technical matters to business leaders in a clear and compelling manner.
If accepted to the program, you will have the chance to work at Fidelity Investments, one of the world’s most prestigious financial institutions and ranked as one of the best Fortune 500 companies for Women and Diversity Candidates. In this program, you will work side-by-side with the best professionals in the industry doing real and meaningful work that directly impacts Fidelity’s business and its customers, all while sharpening your skills, acquiring experience in your areas of interest. You will also engage with senior leaders, receive mentorship from other Fidelity RESUME Program alums, and connect with members of Fidelity's Employee Resource Groups (ERGs). At the end of the program, candidates may be eligible for full-time or extended contracting work at Fidelity, but this is not guaranteed.
- Strong technical accounting skills (knowledge and application of US GAAP and SEC rules and regulations) as well as business and financial acumen
- Ability to read, interpret, summarize, and apply accounting standards
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively and confidently with all levels of management and various groups
- Willingness to take ownership of projects, including the implementation of new accounting standards
- Ability to work independently and on a team as well as function effectively in a fast paced environment
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills combined with a demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment
- CPA license and minimum bachelor’s degree in accounting with 5-7 years of experience
- 2+ year minimum career offramp
- Perform (and review with the team) research and analysis to support identification, communication, and resolution of accounting considerations for specific transactions, enabling the group to ensure that each significant or precedent setting transaction receives the attention necessary to reach accurate and timely conclusions.
- Participate in or lead the interpretation and implementation of new accounting standards as well as maintaining and updating existing internal policies for changes in guidance or business practices.
- Document and prepare new accounting policies and work with Corporate Accounting colleagues and finance peers to ensure accounting policies are followed.
- Provide information to Corporate Accounting colleagues and Finance and business leaders on emerging accounting and reporting matters that may have implications to the business.
- Assist in the development and presentation of technical accounting training covering both new and existing requirements.
- Assist in providing advice and support on technical accounting issues and ensure appropriate documentation is maintained for accounting issues identified and the resolution.
- Assist with reviewing parent and subsidiary financial statements.
- Maintain the Corporate Accounting Policy and Standards website and materials so that the content is current and relevant.
- Collaborate with our auditors and business partners to review and pre-approve proposed non-audit services and to pre-clear candidates for employment in order to ensure our auditors remain independent from Fidelity.